Trainee Quantity Surveyor (QS) & Small Works Manager
To assist in the provision of Estimator/ quantity surveying services under the direction of the Directors and Quantity Surveyors. As the Small Works Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of any small value project for various clients including the NHS, Councils and Schools. The Small Works Manager will take these projects from inception to completion, pricing, getting quotes, overseeing contractors, negotiating, client management and ensuring that projects come in on time and to budget.
- Monitor relevant tender web sites to identify work opportunities
- Pursue opportunities to obtain tender documents
- Completion and submission of PQQs
- Assess tender documents to ensure sufficient information available to prepare tender
- Prepare and issue sub-contract enquiries and assessment of quotations upon receipt
- Prepare and issue material supply enquiries and assessment of quotations upon receipt
- Pricing of tendered works
- Complete tender documents for submission
- Submit tenders and follow up
- Post tender negotiations
- Maintain contract documentation and advise on pre tender and post contract matters
- Sub-contract negotiation
- Preparation and submission of interim valuations
- Site measurement
- Manage and value variations
- Agreement and certification of sub-contractors’ interim valuations and final accounts
- Preparation and submission of several works final account
- Agreement of final accounts
- Prepare Quotations
- Small Works Project Management for successful Quotations – Taking the projects from quotation to completion, getting quotes, overseeing contractors, client management ensuring projects complete on time and on budget.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- An ability to deliver the highest standards of service to our clients.
- An ability to achieve demanding time and quality targets.
- Degree requirements –degree in Surveying/Construction Project Management or equivalent
- Minimum Academic Requirements – three A Levels (or equivalent) grade C or above and a minimum of six GCSE’s (or equivalent) grades B or above including Maths and English Language.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Good IT skills with competency at Microsoft Word and Excel
- To have good spoken and written communication skills
- To be methodical, pay attention to detail and be accurate
- To be good at working with people at all levels and willing to work in a team.
- To be self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative
- To be able to co-ordinate a number of different projects at the same time.
- To be willing to accept responsibility for completing designated tasks.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications
- Holder of a full clean UK driving licence
- To have good general business and commercial awareness.
- To be a good problem solver.
- An associate degree or an apprenticeship in carpentry
- Experience of using hand and power tools such as drills, chisels, sanders, saws and nail guns
- Proven experience as carpenter
- Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
- Ability to read technical documents and drawing
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
- Driving Licence (Preferable)