We are looking for an Apprentice Carpenter join our team! As an apprentice carpenter, your main responsibility will be to provide support and general work assistance to our skilled carpenters inducing site preparation and clearance, and maintaining general site tidiness and assisting as directed by the carpenter.
This is a trainee position and you will be provided with regular training. This role would be ideal for a school or college leaver looking to begin a career in the construction industry.
The day-to-day responsibilities will include, performing tasks as directed by the site manager including assisting in building and installations, inspections, removal, replacement, repair, maintenance of wooden or part wooden items which form part of buildings (such as windows and doors) both internal and external and additional associated wooden items such as furniture.
As directed by the site manager to assist with storage, lifting, fetching materials, unload and check deliveries and undertaking tasks to assist the carpenters generally.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive Regular Training as and when agreed in a training programme with Highbury College, to understand and learn the trade.
- General Assistance to the carpenter including assisting with all types of carpentry work in building wooden or part wooden items which form part of buildings (such as windows and stairs) both internal and external, and additional associated wooden items such as furniture.
- Assisting in general carpenter work in preparation as directed
- As directed by the line manager to assist with storage, lifting, fetching supplies, unload and check deliveries
- Undertaking tasks to assisting carpenter generally
- Receive training so that you can assist with identifying hazards, defects and the need for adjustment or repair; to ensure compliance with agreed codes, law, working practices and health and safety
- Liaising with site manager and other site operatives and performing jobs as and when they are required, in accordance with contract/agreed requirements and within agreed time limits
- Working using your own initiative within agreed roles – do not wait to be asked!
- Ensure compliance to agreed legislation and procedures including health and safety
- Maintain accurate records and documentation associated with your work and training.
- You are responsible for your allocated workload and training and must meet all targets as agreed with your college tutor and managers.
Your usual hours will be from 07.30am Monday to Friday, however you will be expected to work as and when is necessary to meet the needs of the site and your targets.
The Role will involve travel to sites across the South Coast Area.
DM Habens is a leading construction company specialising in public sector and commercial construction projects in the South of England. Our clients include County Councils, Local Authorities, NHS hospitals and primary care units, schools, colleges and churches. We also undertake work in the
The company commenced trading in 1984 under the name of D.M.Habens. As a construction company we have steadily grown in a controlled manner over the years and in 1998 become a limited company. We have a good reputation as a construction company, and regularly execute projects for, Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Portsmouth Diocese, Portsmouth NHS, Surrey & Borders NHS, and also directly for local schools, churches and architects.
DM Habens is committed to a comprehensive policy of equal opportunities in employment in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities without regard to race, religion or belief, colour, sex, within the company. The aim of this policy is to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on grounds not relevant to good employment practice. A complete copy of DM Habens (The Builder) Ltd equal opportunities policy is available on request.
- 4 GCSE’s (Graded A-C) or equivalent including Maths & English
- To be flexible and willing to work as part of a team
- To be friendly and approachable
- To understand and deliver good customer service
- Good attention to detail