Carpenter & Joiner
We are looking for a skilled Carpenter join our team! As a Carpenter, your main responsibility will be construction and repair of building frameworks and structures such as stairways, door-frames, partitions, and rafters.
We expect you to have strong attention to details and a very good knowledge of different carpentry materials.
If you are a hard working person who can easily work alone and in the team when needed, then we are looking for you!
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Installing Wooden Structures Such As Roofing Frames, Rafters, Partitions, Joists And Stud Work
- Adding Fixtures And Fittings Such As Door Handles, Locks, Hinges And Closures
- Liaising With Clients, Suppliers And Other Construction Professionals
- Reading Drawings And Designs To Work To Specifications Prepared By Other Construction Professionals, Architects And Building Code Recommendations
- Plan The Work And The Buying Of Necessary Materials And Equipment
- Promote And Maintain Health And Safety, Including Site Inspections To Ensure Safety Rules Are Being Followed
- Communicate With Any Consultants, Subcontractors, Supervisors, Planners, Quantity Surveyors And Others Involved In The Project
- Deal With Any Unexpected Problems That May Occur During The Project.
You’ll need to show:
- Strong Communication Skills – For Liaising With A Wide Range Of Clients, Professionals And Workers On Site
- Leadership Skills And An Ability To Motivate Your Team To Ensure A High Standard Of Work
- Excellent Planning And Organisational Skills
- Resilience And Problem-Solving Skills – In Order To Overcome Unexpected Challenges During The Construction Process
- An Ability To Make Decisions Under Pressure, So That The Project Can Progress
- An Awareness Of Health And Safety Procedures And Legislation
DM Habens is a leading construction company specialising in public sector and commercial construction projects in the South of England. Our clients include County Councils, Local Authorities, NHS hospitals and primary care units, schools, colleges and churches. We also undertake work in the commercial sector.
The company commenced trading in 1984 under the name of DM.Habens. As a construction company we have steadily grown in a controlled manner over the years and in 1998 become a limited company. We have a good reputation as a construction company, and regularly execute projects for, Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Portsmouth Diocese, Portsmouth NHS, Surrey & Borders NHS, and also directly for local schools, churches and architects.
DM Habens is committed to a comprehensive policy of equal opportunities in employment in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities without regard to race, religion or belief, colour, sex, within the company. The aim of this policy is to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on grounds not relevant to good employment practice. A complete copy of DM Habens (The Builder) Ltd equal opportunities policy is available on request.
We signed the Armed Forces Covenant in 2021 and recognise that those leaving the armed forces may be disadvantaged in terms of securing meaningful employment and adjusting to a civilian environment. We want to be a great employer with outstanding leadership and a talented, agile workforce. We believe that a diverse range of talent is vital in creating an effective workforce who can bring different skills and experiences to the table. We also recognise the contribution that members of the armed forces community can make to its staff group in terms of the soft skills, attributes and values they bring to the organisation.
Support for Veterans
We recognise Veterans bring an excellent work ethic and high value skills to our organisation and often their meticulous attention to detail and record keeping is incredibly beneficial when working within the construction industry, therefore We work with ‘First Military Recruitment’ as well as the CTP to exclusively advertise vacancy positions, ensuring we have an increased opportunity of employing skilled veterans and service leavers.
Veterans/service leavers are offered an internal mentor to aid their transition to the workforce along with support and guidance from our HR Department and the Armed Forces Network – Hampshire Division. External organisations such as ‘SSAFA- Forcesline’, ‘HeadFIT’ and ‘Defence Recovery Capability’ are all promoted and encouraged to support Veterans mental and physical health. At Habens we are proud to support The Mental Health Charter, and are company supporters of ‘The Lighthouse Club’ a construction industry-based charity providing proactive support, training and assistance for all employees and their families within the construction industry.
Support for Reserve forces and cadet force adult instructors
We support our staff to be reservists and cadet force adult instructors through the following:
- Additional leave for those serving in the reserve forces or those volunteering their time as adult cadet instructors for undertaking their annual camp or other training specific to their reserve or adult cadet instructor role
- Flexible Working Policy to provide equal opportunity in employment
- Reservists who have been mobilised will receive support from their line manager and other colleagues before, during and post mobilisation.
Support for Spouses of serving regulars and reservists
· Spouses and civil partners of serving Regular or Reserve Forces personnel may be required to adjust family arrangements following their partner’s posting or deployment. This can place additional burdens upon the spouse/family and they may wish to consider the option of flexible working or Time off for Dependants as a temporary or permanent measure.
· Where appropriate, compassionate or special leave may be granted to spouses to assist them in dealing with critical issues arising from deployment or illness, injury or death wholly or partly attributable to being in service.
· We also utilise sites such as ‘Forces Families Jobs’ & ‘Recruit for Spouses’ when advertising relevant job roles to ensure we are supporting military families by offering employment to dependants of military employees.
- An associate degree or an apprenticeship in carpentry
- Experience of using hand and power tools such as drills, chisels, sanders, saws and nail guns
- Proven experience as carpenter
- Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction
- Ability to read technical documents and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
- Relevant H&S Training eg: Manual Handling etc.